Social media and SEO — it doesn’t have to be daunting
- 8th April 2016
Many companies understand that they should be proactive online. However, often the idea of social media, content marketing and search engine optimisation (SEO) can be a little daunting.
For instance, one of our recent clients needed help because their social media wasn’t achieving any positive results. They had Facebook and Twitter pages with engagement more stale than that pot of coffee you forgot to pour away over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend.
However, stale coffee is easily replaced. Improving social media engagement, brand awareness and trust takes a lot more time and strategy. This is the first thing we try and help our clients understand.
Could it be time to approach your social media differently?
Many businesses go down the obvious, but harmful route of only talking about themselves online — massive yawn! Then, when results don’t appear, and when there seems to be no clear return on investment (ROI), they get frustrated.
It’s hard to turn that negative perception around, but you must try — social media isn’t going away any time soon. If your digital marketing isn’t working, it’s time to take a fresh approach. You don’t use social media for business the same way you would personally — it needs to have a certain level of strategy.
Take it back to square one and really consider your marketing essentials:
1. Establish your customer base and audience. Think about where and how you can target them
2. Identify your unique selling point (USP) and advantages over your competitors
3. Work out your brand’s overall identity, image and message. This includes creating a consistent tone of voice
4. Develop a marketing plan and strategy. This includes: key time periods for potential demand, events, industry and community triggers, promotions and offers
5. Think about the marketing tools available to you for promoting content. Which ones are more likely appeal to your customer base?
Like social media and digital marketing, SEO is something that many smaller businesses struggle to adopt and understand. This is more apparent when there’s coding, optimised content, organic search, and paid search to consider.
If you want to get noticed online, you have to embrace digital marketing and SEO as a package: they go hand in hand.
SEO is all about making sure the content you use online is strategic. This includes using key words and phrases that people would type into a search engine like Google. These words might be used to find your business and its products and services.
The beauty of SEO is that it can be successful with variable budgets and time. This useful marketing tool isn’t just reserved for big budgets and large corporations — it can help your business compete and get the attention it desires.
Benefits of SEO for my business
1. Makes your website more visible in search engines. People can find you and your products faster and easier
2. Converts more online traffic to sales by targeting the appropriate audiences more effectively
3. Increases the click through rate on your online marketing campaigns
4. Grows your business and find new customers
5. Enhances your social media
It’s perfectly natural to feel like all of this is information overload. After all, you’re busy doing business and SEO and social media strategy can be a time consuming task.
Here at Not Greedy Media we assist a number of small businesses around Bristol and the South West with their digital marketing requirements. These include social media strategy and marketing, SEO, content marketing and email marketing.
If you’d like us to help you fly up the Google rankings and engage better online, please get in touch.